Get prepared for the level 1 of the Advanced Financial Modeller (AFM) certification examination with our detailed online exam prep course. The rigorous course equips you with practical and hands-on experience to design your own financial model. Our course offers a step-by-step and in-depth knowledge on the use of Excel tools and techniques, thereby enabling the participants to gain an understanding on the best financial modelling techniques. The trainees will also gain a thorough understanding for constructing dynamic and interactive financial models, which meet the greatest industry standards.
The skills related to financial modelling and analysis are the most sought-after skills in the business arena and most desired by employers. The intensive course helps you to effectively prepare for the level 1 of the AFM certification examination.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Gain an understanding about the concepts and methods in financial modelling;
- Improve and upgrade your skills;
- Be a part of a bigger team to offer assistance for improving projects or work on new assignments;
- Significantly use Excel in your routine work, thereby enabling you to make concrete financial decisions
Who should attend
All individuals who want to improve their financial modeling skills should attend this course
- Middle to senior managers from different industries
- All professionals who want to deal or currently deal with financial modeling in their company
- Consultants, advisors and other professionals who wish to improve their modeling skills
The non-theoretical methodology which includes interactive discussions, case studies, and assignments to understand the concepts and their applicability. As a policy, we limit the class size so that we can provide attention to each participant and ensure their objective is achieved. We request you to please bring your laptop with Microsoft Excel installed to the class.
All our trainers are carefully chosen by us and possess a rich and vast experience in the financial sector. This course conducted by an experienced training consultant having more than 16 years of industry experience with some of the world’s leading business institutions, specializing in corporate finance, investment banking, and private equity.
About AFM Programme
Candidates who have intentions of earning the AFM certification – level 1 from the Financial Modeling Institute (FMI) should take up this course. The AFM programme is ideal for anyone who has a flair for finance or is working in the field of finance. Both finance students as well as experienced industry professionals can opt for the AFM certification programme.
The FMI examination
FMI provides a global financial modelling certification, which consists of three levels. The structure of the FMI certification is similar to that of the CFA certification scheme. The FMI examination is conducted online twice every year in April and October for which you should register directly with the institute. The duration of the examination is 4 hours. Riverstone Training is one of the few training institutes that are approved by FMI for offering a prep course for the first two levels. For taking up this course, it is not mandatory that you are registered or are appearing for the FMI examination. The course will help you to prepare for the FMI examination; however, attending this course will not guarantee your results in the examination.
Microsoft Excel is essential for taking up this course. The preferred version is Excel 365; however, the candidates can use any Excel version as per their preference, including a Mac version.
Topics that need to be covered for the level 1 AFM certification
In the 4-hour exam, students should finish a variety of tricky questions from accounting basics, such as:
Creating revenue schedules with the incorporation of divisional allocations
Creating revenue schedules based on geography, currency, and capacity constraints
Forecasting revenue based on operational changes and contingent revenue
How to build a cost schedule based on economies of scale
What is multi-currency costing?
Analyzing semi-variable or step-function costs
Assessing the different methodologies for building a depreciation schedule
Criteria for purchasing and disposing of depreciable company assets
Determining the useful life of fully depreciating company assets
Studying the different working capital issues of companies
How to build a working capital schedule based on an inventory continuity schedule?
How to calculate working capital in a monthly or quarterly model?
How does a company build a tax schedule based on its tax losses?
• What is the tax loss continuity schedule?
• Calculating income tax for a company operating in multiple jurisdictions
• Calculation of effective tax rates for companies
- How to model facets of a complex capital structure with various debt features
- Calculating various debt ratios compared with covenants
- What is debt sculpting?
- Building debt refinancing functionality into debt schedules
- Modeling equity issues, such as issuances/buybacks
- Tracking the impact of various dilutive securities
- Calculation of tiered equity returns
- Modeling financial statements with noncontrolling/minority interest
- Modeling financial statements for equity method investments
- Modeling financial statements for long- term investments
- Creating a dynamic, easy-to-interpret summary page
- Automating summary dynamically for multiple model scenarios
- Creating an input section for analysis of sensitivities and scenarios
- Building timing flexibility for events and transactions in financial models
- Building automated timing switches for timing product launches
- Making automated timing switches for timing financing transactions
How to spot embedded errors using Excel techniques
Correcting errors in financial models without employing third-party tools
Including master checks in financial models for spotting embedded mistakes and inconsistencies
Managing large data sets to analyze trends
Using Excel tools and formulas to extract requested information from large datasets